Re: Lilypond on Ubuntu

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Lilypond on Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:58:36 -0400

Hi Craig,

I too have a Compaq Presario 2100 running Ubuntu 8.04.

You'll want to browse to http://lilypond.org/web/install/ and download the binary package for "Any x86". You'll also probably want to grab the Documentation and burn it to the same CD. Once you have it on CD, just copy the files to your Ubuntu desktop and follow the installation instructions for the shell script (where it says "do sh lilypond..."

For the documentation tarball, extract it to a convenient location (like /home//yourusername//lilypond-documentation) on your hard disk and then create a bookmark for it in your favorite web browser. That way you won't have to be online to read the documentation.

Then, enjoy LilyPond!

Cheers,

Dave

Craig Bakalian wrote:
Hi,

I am confused about the installation procedure for getting Lilypond on Ubuntu. I just bought a laptop at a yard sale for 30 USD. It is a compaq presario 2100. Ubuntu cannot drive the modem so I cannot download directly to the laptop. So, I will download to an iMac and burn a CD. The big question is what do I put on the CD and how do I get it to install on to the amazing 30 dollar laptop? Also, what is the correct download from the Ubuntu list. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 which is called Hardy, I think...? You know things are bad in the economy when you can buy a laptop for 30 dollars at a yard sale!

Craig Bakalian
560 Keswick Drive
Yardley, PA 19067
215-428-0856