Dynamic voices in polyphonic music - how?

From: Florian Hollerweger
Subject: Dynamic voices in polyphonic music - how?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:58:32 +0000

Hi list,

My name's Florian, I am a Lilypond newbie, and currently one of my strategies to get beyond that stage is to use Lilypond to redo a small piano piece I wrote a while ago in Sibelius (a pdf is available at http://flo.mur.at/muteandcontinue-piano.pdf)

The main question this brings up for me is how to deal with polyphonic piano music *in which the number of voices is dynamic*. In other words, the classic fugue situation (the piece is actually a variation on Bach's b-minor fugue from WTC, book one), where voices are fluid and can appear or disappear at different stages during the piece.

A nice option with regards to input-convenience seems to be "Writing Music in Parallel":
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Multiple-voices#Writing-music-in-parallel
However, I am not sure whether that approach is compatible with the flexibility in terms of voice management which I require, i.e. can I change the number of voices during the piece?

I would be helpful for any suggestions as to which of Lilypond's polyphonic strategies lends itself best to this particular situation.

Thanks for your help, and what a great piece of software this is!

best,
flo.H