Re: Dynamic voices in polyphonic music - how?

From: Florian Hollerweger
Subject: Re: Dynamic voices in polyphonic music - how?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:09:08 +0000

Hi Jon, hi list,

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I always put each voice in a separate variable in situations like this, rather than use constructs like <<{ } \\ { }>>. Sometimes a voice will have many bars of "skips," (e.g. s1*24 makes 24 bars of skips in 4/4 time) but this is fine. To control the stem and slur direction I use \voiceOne, \voiceTwo, \oneVoice, and such commands as much as possible.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, Jon. Can I ask you what exactly your motivation for using \voiceOne, \voiceTwo etc. over <<{ } \\ { }>> is? I was under the impression that the latter is just a convenient way of "automating" the introduction of new voices, but from what you are saying it seems to me that the level of control over stem and slur direction might be better with \voiceOne, etc.?

The downside, I suppose, is that code for each voice is separated by some distance in your source file

Yes, I had been hoping that I might be able to get the best of both worlds, but it doesn't look like it, does it.

but as long as you comment the file with bar numbers adequately this is not too much trouble.

True.

You set up the \score block to include all the voices for the whole piece, but the voices come and go as you wish according to whether the voices' variables have notes, rests or skips at a given moment.

But making a voice "(dis)appear" equals using skips, right? Or is there a way of saying (at the coding level, not only the layout level), my third voice starts in bar 34 and ends in bar 42, and I don't wanna bother entering skips for before and after that?

best,
flo.H