Re: Cross Staff Stems

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Cross Staff Stems
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:51:26 -0600

On 3/18/09 4:17 PM, "Alberto Simões" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello
>
> While the documentation explains that these vars need to be changed in
> order to produce croll-staff stems:
>
>         % stems may overlap the other staff
>         \override Stem #'cross-staff = ##t
>         % extend the stems to reach other other staff
>         \override Stem #'length = #12
>         % do not print extra flags
>         \override Stem #'flag-style = #'no-flag
>
> There isn't any hint on how to turn it off.
> While I guess that the first variable should be turned off ##f,
> there isn't information about the default length.

You can always undo any \override with a \revert

\revert Stem #'cross-staff
\revert Stem #'length
\revert Stem #'flag-style

> Also, I tried to do this lexically, using { } to delimit this portion,
> but it seems this is not properly Perl :)

\overrides are not applied to notes, but to contexts.  When an \override is
applied, it is applied to every music object in that context at that moment.

So I were to try something like:

<<
  {c4 d e f}
  {\override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t e4 f g a'}

all the NoteHeads will be transparent, not just those in the first
sequential block.

On the other hand, if I were to do

<<
  \new Voice {c4 d e f}
  \new Voice {\override Voice.NoteHead #'transparent = ##t e4 f g a'}

only the second voice would have transparent NoteHeads.

HTH,

Carl