Re: auto-beaming

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: auto-beaming
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:27:51 -0600

On 3/19/09 5:13 AM, "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Trevor Daniels wrote:
>> Unfortunately, this will also subdivide 16th beams too.  This is what
>> I meant by "not quite possible".  You would need to turn
>> subdivideBeams on and off as required.
> Should we turn this into feature request to make the automatic
> subdivision of beams even more flexible, with separate rules for
> different note lengths, or would the resulting scheme get too messy to
> use and implement?

It seems to me that this should be a feature request.

It also seems to me that we could make this quite easy to use as a default.

We currently have beatGrouping used to end beams and beatLength used to
subdivide beams.

If we want more control over ending beams, we use override-auto-beam-setting
to add beam endings for specific beam types (16th, 32ned, etc.)

We should be able to add a functionality for  override-beam-subdivision that
is beam type specific, just like we've done for beam endings.  Although it
may be somewhat hard to get just right, the documentation is in *much*
better shape than it used to be (thanks, Trevor), and we can use a
corresponding syntax so it must only be learned once.

Also, for the most common settings, beatGrouping and beatLength suffice; no
need for any of the overrides.

Carl