Re: default margins

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: default margins
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:45:55 +0100

2009/3/19 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> This would require the ability to change margins in lilypond
> on-the-fly, of course.  I doubt that's possible in current page
> settings... and in any case, it would mix up content and
> presentation a fair amount.  Unless we defined something like:
> \paper {
>  line-width = 180mm
>  \page #2 {
>    line-width = 150mm
>  }
> }

IMNSHO, ideally LilyPond should be able to do this on its own, based
on the "density" of the staves it draws on each page. So, on the user
side this would only require to have a min-line-width and a
max-line-width property, just like we now have min-systems and
max-systems.

> In the short term, I like the idea of changing the default margins
> (or at very least making an easy \predefined that has a different
> set of margins), but I'd rather wait until summer when I have more
> time.  Could we add a feature request for this so it doesn't get
> lost?

I'll let this discussion live for a while, then I'll add something.

> (unless somebody else wants to take initative and organize
> everything, from deciding the values, making ly/foo.ly files,
> writing docs, etc)

Frogs?

Regards,
Valentin