Re: Trying to figure out a beat grouping

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Trying to figure out a beat grouping
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:37:52 -0000

Cameron Horsburgh wrote Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:28 AM

I'm having trouble trying to modify the automatic beaming for a piece I'm working on. This piece has many examples of this figure in 4/4 time:

a8 a a a16 a

I would like the beaming to be:

a8[ a] a[ a16 a]

 ___     _______
|   |   |   |___|
|   |   |   |   |
|   |   |   |   |
O   O   O   O   O

but the default is

a8[ a a a16 a]

 _______________
|   |   |   |___|
|   |   |   |   |
|   |   |   |   |
O   O   O   O   O

I can't figure out how to get my desired beaming. How do I tell the beam engraver to look for semiquavers at the end of beat two to decide
whether or not to put a beam between between beats one and two?

I can't see any way of achieving this using the
beam-ending rules, I'm afraid.

If the semiquavers came at the end of beat one it probably wouldn't
be that hard.

Yes - that's easy.

Is this the sort of thing the 'begin' beam-limit type
was intended for?

Even this wouldn't help.  You need some sort of
back-tracking so that when the 16th notes were
found the beaming was restarted using a different
set of rules.

A music function could be written to take 5 pitches
and apply the durations and manual beaming to them.

Trevor