Re: repeat a set of measures (A to B) later on in the score

From: patrick duka
Subject: Re: repeat a set of measures (A to B) later on in the score
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:58:36 +0100

Section 1.2.5 is exactly what I was looking for.
What I want to do now is repeat the section A-B 4 times in a row but without the notes appearing, just the mention A-B.
I'm going to have a look at 3.3.2 right now and see what I can do.
thanks Carl.

2009/3/22 Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>

On 3/21/09 5:49 PM, "patrick duka" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a set of measures that I want to repeat several times at different
> times of the score.
>
> I want to put the letter A at the beginning of this set of measures, and B at
> the end,
>
> then I want A-B to repeat at some time later on,
>
> 1. How can I put this letters ?

You can put the letters with a \mark command.  See Rehearsal Marks in
section 1.2.5 Bars of the Notation Reference.

> 2. How can I make A-B to repeat at a different time in the score?

I would define A-B as a variable, and then put it multiple places in the
score, but when I do that, A-B will be printed out everywhere I put it.  See
section 3.3.2 Different Editions from one source to see an example of using
variables to define music.

I don't know if you are thinking of some kind of repeat that would print out
the section from A-B only once, and then refer to it later.  I don't know of
any musical notation that does that particular thing, but if it exists, I'm
sure it can be done with LilyPond.

HTH,

Carl

--