Re: repeat a set of measures (A to B) later on in the score

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: repeat a set of measures (A to B) later on in the score
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:58:43 +0100

Am 22.03.2009 um 16:49 schrieb David Raleigh Arnold:

On Saturday 21 March 2009, patrick duka wrote:
Hi,
I have a set of measures that I want to repeat several times at
different
times of the score.

I want to put the letter A at the beginning of this set of measures,
and B
at the end,

then I want A-B to repeat at some time later on,

1. How can I put this letters ?

2. How can I make A-B to repeat at a different time in the score?

(I'm looking for an answer in the manual and the user's mailing list
but so
far no answer...)

Thanks everyone.

It's a great idea which IMO would be best considered an editing task.

Using sed to number barchecks or lines is not hard.  Copying and
inserting "\M3-5" with the appropriate measures should not be a problem
either.  The replacement text should probably have all the fingering
stripped out but other marks could be a problem because they may or
may not be desired. (Using lilypond programming might be a better idea
if that is the case.)  Then the bar numbers e.g.: "|22" could be
renumbered on each pass. Of course with an editing tool all this
is done before lilypond sees it.

Where the editing tool approach really shines is in doing what lilypond
won't do, such as being able to write f c g d instead of fis cis gis
dis in \key e major.  Editing tools already in existence may do all of
this already.  It's hard to keep up.  Regards, daveA

Perhaps an easier way is to put everything before A in one variable, everything between A and B in a second variable, and everything after B in a third variable. Then, using a fourth variable that has the \mark "A", etc., you can string them together in any way you wish.