Re: Sibelius conversion - sib2ly

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Sibelius conversion - sib2ly
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:38:27 +0000

At 21:45 on 23 Mar 2009, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:40:24AM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> > Graham Percival wrote:
> >> Does Sibelius support musicXML?  I'm wondering if it might be
> >> faster in the long run to help Reinhold with musicXML2ly.
> >>

> > I asked my student with Sibelius to send me his counterpoint
> > project as a musicXML file and he couldn't do it.  He was new with
> > Sibelius but when I poked around it for him I couldn't find a
> > musicXML export option anywhere.  :(
>
> Your student fails the google test.  Third hit for "sibelius
> musicxl":
> http://www.sibelius.com/news/press130.html
> (from 24 Oct 2007)

As do you: the page, albeit subtly, only mentions MusicXML IMPORT, not
EXPORT.

<quote>MusicXML 2.0 – the latest version of the industry-standard format
to transfer scores between notation engines – is fully supported in
Sibelius 5.1. This includes the new compressed .mxl format, which
reduces MusicXML file sizes by around 20 times. The handling of
instruments and layouts from MusicXML files has also been enhanced, and
more notation than ever are imported, including unpitched percussion,
multirests, guitar chord diagrams, and many more.</quote>

See also:

http://tomrudolph.berkleemusicblogs.com/2008/05/17/sharing-files-between-finale-and-sibelius-via-musicxml/

--
Mark Knoop