Re: Help for paper about LilyPond and WYSIWYM sofware

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Help for paper about LilyPond and WYSIWYM sofware
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:47:19 -0500

MonAmiPierrot wrote:

Valentin Villenave wrote:

I assume you already know about Andrew's paper:
http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-1.html

Yep, and very useful! Anything more?
Thanks and regards

I haven't written any papers on this topic but wanted to be in touch with you anyway. My Ph.D. is in musicology and I have no formal training in computers, though I have to say that my computer skills have improved dramatically in the 18 months that I have been using Linux and Lilypond.

I'm nearly finished writing a counterpoint workbook with Lilypond Book in LaTeX and Lilypond, and am also working on a new project with Lilypond, which is a free anthology of musical scores for use in undergraduate music history courses. This will be a combination of new Lilypond engravings and public-domain scanned pdf files of old printings. This is in the very early stages.

I'm not sure if I can contribute to the argument for Lilypond over the proprietary engraving software, but in my Counterpoint workbook I have a colophon page where I discuss Lilypond and LaTeX briefly. One of the features of LaTeX that I point out there that might be of interest to musicologists is the fact that with LaTeX you can place sharp, flat, and natural symbols in the text without messing up line spacing, something I've found impossible to do with word processors. It's also easier to do scale-degree indications, you know the numbers with ^ on top of them.

Please report back when you get back from giving the paper. :)

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com