Re: Text/markup attached to bracket

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Text/markup attached to bracket
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:28:51 +0800

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:15:13PM +0000, Stuart Pullinger wrote:
> Seems that I can't create exactly what I drew by hacking other
> bracket/spanner types in Lilypond. I need some sort of bracket that can
> start and stop on the same note and support nesting.

Nah; you just need multiple voices.  And a complete lack of shame.

I am proud to present my submission towards the Outstandingly Ugly
Hack of the Month (OUHM -- Valentin, this should be a regular
feature of the Report ;)

Read on and weep.  If you have small children, you may want to
avert their eyes from the mailist for the next few emails in this
thread.

\version "2.12.0"

\layout{
  ragged-right = ##f
}

\relative c'' {
  \override TupletNumber #'text = "P3"
  \times 1/1 {
    << { \voiceTwo
      \tweak #'text #'"M2"
      \times 1/1 { c4 d4 }
      \tweak #'text #'"M3"
      \times 1/1 { e4 f }
     } \new Voice { \voiceOne
      \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
      c4
% you might prefer to uncomment the next tweak; better typography.
      \tweak #'direction #DOWN
      \tweak #'text #'"M3"
      \times 1/1 { d4 e }
      f4