Re: Text/markup attached to bracket

From: Stuart Pullinger
Subject: Re: Text/markup attached to bracket
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:43:48 +0000

Hi,
> I am proud to present my submission towards the Outstandingly Ugly
> Hack of the Month (OUHM -- Valentin, this should be a regular
> feature of the Report ;)

Yep. That is an ugly hack. Congratulations ;^)
> Read on and weep.  If you have small children, you may want to
> avert their eyes from the mailist for the next few emails in this
> thread.

I have turned my monitor away so no one else in the room can see.
Overriding shorten-pair makes it appear a lot less ugly though:

\version "2.12.0"

\layout{
  ragged-right = ##f
  }

  \relative c'' {
    \override TupletBracket #'shorten-pair = #'(1 . 1)
    \override TupletNumber #'text = "P4"
      \times 1/1 {
                  << {    \voiceTwo
                \tweak #'text #'"M2"
                \times 1/1 { c4 d4 }
                \tweak #'text #'"m2"
                \times 1/1 { e4 f }
               }
        \new Voice {     \voiceOne
                \override TupletBracket #'shorten-pair = #'(1 . 2)
                         \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
                c4
                % you might prefer to uncomment the next tweak; better
typography.
                \tweak #'direction #DOWN
                \tweak #'text #'"M2"
                \times 1/1 { d4 e }
                f4
               } >>

The TupletBracket in voiceOne is aligned slightly differently - probably
due to the (transparent) up-stem. Still, not bad. You were correct in
your previous email - I am hoping to generate this lilypond score
algorithmically. I foresee some head scratching...

Thanks,
Stuart