Re: odd configure error

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: odd configure error
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:21:49 +0000

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:06:22PM +0800, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:08:40PM +0100, James E. Bailey wrote:
> >
> > GIT from git.sv.gnu.org
> >     git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>
> This does not set up easy pulling or pushing in the future, and
> generally assumes that people know how to use git.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. It sets up a remote named 'origin'
and `git pull` works just fine after that. In the general case, `git
push` also works if the remote repository given allows pushing.

> It also downloads all branches, which in most cases is not necessary.
That's true, but hardly a huge problem. It's the difference between a
.git of 69MB and 110MB, which for many users is negligible; and as for
time of checkout, it's long enough either way that you'd go and make a
cup of tea while you were waiting. It's hardly enough to consider
switching VCSes for, in any case.

Anyway, a quick search of the shows that an option to git clone to only
track one branch was previously suggested and was thought to be a good
idea, so I'm sure they'd be happy to accept a patch to this end. I'm
willing to cook one up and act as liaison on the git mailing list if
we're agreed here that we need it.

--
Kanga  said to Roo,  "Drink up  your milk  first, dear, and  talk after-
wards." So Roo, who was drinking his milk, tried to say that he could do