Re: odd configure error

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: odd configure error
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:10:25 +0800

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:21:49AM +0000, Daniel Hulme wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:06:22PM +0800, Graham Percival wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:08:40PM +0100, James E. Bailey wrote:
> > >
> > > GIT from git.sv.gnu.org
> > >     git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
> >
> > This does not set up easy pulling or pushing in the future, and
> > generally assumes that people know how to use git.
> I'm not sure what you mean by that. It sets up a remote named 'origin'
> and `git pull` works just fine after that. In the general case, `git
> push` also works if the remote repository given allows pushing.

Huh.  Is this new in git 1.6 ?  The second-last time I set up git
(which admittedly was in the 1.4 days), I had some problem with
setting up pulling and pushing after doing a git clone.

Admittedly, the problem could have been as simple as not having
the correct location -- the URL for ssh is
  ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
When I set git up on my new laptop a few months ago, it took me
about an hour to realize that git push was failing because I had
the URL wrong.   (note  the  /src/git/  addition)

> Anyway, a quick search of the shows that an option to git clone to only
> track one branch was previously suggested and was thought to be a good
> idea, so I'm sure they'd be happy to accept a patch to this end. I'm
> willing to cook one up and act as liaison on the git mailing list if
> we're agreed here that we need it.

I definitely think that would be nice!  Many contributors (include
myself) get confused by the mixture of filesystem and database --
i.e. ~/src/lilypond/  might contain the main source, or the
website source, etc.  I'd rather have new contributors set up two
git repos (~/src/lilypond/  and ~/src/lilypond-web/ ) and then get
on with the business of writing patches for lilypond, not wading
through git docs and/or feeling confused and helpless with git.

In the near future, we'll split lilypond-web/ into a separate git
tracker anyway... but translators may still want two separate
directories.

Cheers,
- Graham