Re: Using midi2ly

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Using midi2ly
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:08:41 -0400

    Graham> Frankly, I think we should just remove every *2ly convert
    Graham> apart from musicXML2ly.  Nobody wants to work on them, so
    Graham> they just get gradually more and more broken over time.

I might support that if we were setting the example by having an
ly2musicXML, but we aren't.  Until then, I think we should keep
anything that's usable, even if the patches don't always arrive in
time so that people don't have to also run convert-ly.

I do occasionally use midi2ly, but I can't claim that it really saves
me much if any time, so I wouldn't be terribly upset if it
disappeared.  But abc2ly definitely saves time and trouble if you have
ABC, and it does sort of get maintained, although mostly on a "this
works because so-and-so needed it" basis.  So if that went away before
there was an abc2musicXML that was at least as goood as musicXML2ly, it
would be a loss.

There's a lot more ABC out there on the web than there is MusicXML.
And probably more MIDI than there is ABC.  And probably still more etf
than there is musicXML, even though Finale users, unlike a lot of
other transcribers, do have the musicXML option.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I suppose it can be said I'm an absent-minded driver.  It's true that
I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the
other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit
for it.

Glenn Gould, quoted in "A Romance on Three Legs" by Katie Hafner