Re:Transpose

From: Ossie Wilson Snr
Subject: Re:Transpose
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:58:36 +1000

Good Morning Robin

            Robin Bannister wrote :-

After a cursory look, I would say this file is badly mangled as regards key signatures.

In part one at bar 29 it helps to say

\key df    instead of    \key cs

because the subseqent notes are e.g. df, gf, ...

The original key is df but it was changed in an attempt to get rid of double flats.

Also part one should declare _at_least_  one additional key change:  at bar 13,  to \key gf \major This is odd because to insert this in the "low" voices you have to first split up the initial 26 silent bars.

You had better tell Richard Rogers that – I am working from a copy of the printed score.

But then again, at the top it says

      "Generated from a MIDI File by LyFromMIDI ..."

I believe that is blocked with a blank. It is a residual from my templates. I have this Visual Basic programme that will convert MIDI to Ly if the conditions are right and it has been used on occasions when no paper copy is available. Part of the programme allows me to edit the Ly file and I use this to hand enter from paper copies.

So \transpose isn't really your problem at the moment.

You have to get it looking right in the original first.

The original Ly file did produce an exact (well near enough) copy of the paper copy I was working from but it removed all the chord names which I believe a skilled pianist who can read music readily does not require. As for me, I am no musician of any sort and printed music is a lot of lines and dots on sticks, like looking into a paddock through the wire fence at the remains of a wooded paddock after a bushfire has gone through it. I am forbidden to hum, whistle, sing (?) because I have no notion of pitch or timing – but I do enjoy listening to good music.

And yes, Win98 users are stuck at 2.8.

I do have computers with much faster chips and later versions, but I am still waiting for a stable version to appear. I thought it would be 2.12 but now there is talk of 2.14 in the next couple of months so heres hoping that we will get a new command \nbd (no bloody doubles) included  in it.

At least I didn’t draw fire from Graham Percival because I did at least read the appropriate section of his new documentation even though Carl says that snippet is broken (in docs for the latest ‘stable’ version).

Thanks for your help – one of the good things about LP is the band of willing helpers.

Ossie.