Re: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 07:47:11 -0400

    Andrew> The full report is at
    Andrew> http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-4.html, but here's my
    Andrew> conclusion:
    Andrew> "At least for me, MIDI entry is much faster than typing the pitches
    Andrew> and durations myself.

I prefer MIDI entry to typing the pitches and durations, too, but I'm
not sure it's any faster.  In my case, it's a bit less error prone,
particularly for the "wrong octave" kind of error in relative mode.

In my case, I use the emacs midi-input-mode for entering with the
MIDI keyboard.

And I think when there are lots of articulations or chords, it
probably gets faster to type than to use the MIDI keyboard.

I've never used either Finale or Sibelius, but I think my typing speed
in lily is about the same as in ABC.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

A computer is like a violin. You can imagine a novice trying first a
phonograph and then a violin. The latter, he says, sounds
terrible. That is the argument we have heard from our humanists and
most of our computer scientists. Computer programs are good, they say,
for particular purposes, but they aren't flexible. Neither is a
violin, or a typewriter, until you learn how to use it.

Marvin Minsky, ``Why Programming Is a Good Medium for Expressing
Poorly-Understood and Sloppily-Formulated Ideas''