Re: my articles and astroturfng LWN

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: my articles and astroturfng LWN
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:50:59 +0200

2009/4/3 Dave Phillips <address@hidden>:
> If your objection to LWN is re: someone else's comment on my articles, then
> that's fine with me. But if anyone has a problem with my articles per se I'd
> prefer they take it up with me, not with my publishers.

Not at all. It's just some comments that (by design, I think) lead us to react.

On a personal note: a few months ago I was working on my opera with my
laptop at a parent/teachers reunion with my colleagues, and then a man
stops by and goes "oh, you're copying music, that's nice; what
software are you using?"

Obviously, I immediately go astroturfing-mode, "This is the finest
piece of software you'll ever meet, it is a free software called
LilyPond and..."

Him: "I do know LilyPond".

Me: "Oh. Great, then!"

Him: "... And I don't like it."

Me: "Oh. Why is that? You know it must be the finest piece of..."

Him: "Nah, it's just crap. That's all."

Me: "But, do you know how many things you can achieve with LilyPond?
It has more features than..."

Him: "Nothing any decent software can't do. LilyPond just makes it harder."

Me: "But the quality of its output is..."

Him: "No, it's just plain shit. Listen, I understand you're making a
big score; you have to use a /real/ music software. Why don't you come
next Saturday, I'll show you some stuff?"

Me: "??? What is there on Saturday?"

Him: "It's the Sibelius Demonstration Day, at Steinberg France."

Me: "..."

Him: "... I work there."

What's the phrase already? First they ignore you...

Regards,
Valentin