Re: Slur/Tie Ambiguity

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Slur/Tie Ambiguity
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:55:42 -0400

Hi David,

Good evening List,
The snippet below shows two c naturals tied across a barline, followed by a c natural slurred to a c sharp across a barline. Lilypond makes both look identical. I think the first is right (born out by the NR) - but is the second? I know I can force the sharp or add a cautionary with ! or ? but am puzzled by the behaviour.

Would you expect it to be any different if you were slurring from a different note, like an f? Music engraving practice says "new measure = apply key signature, but *remove* accidental if there's a tie" -- there is no 'inverse' for non-tie situations like yours.

As you pointed out, you can (i.e., need to) force the cautionary accidental if you want it displayed.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.