Re: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 18:50:06 -0700

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> as long as I have anything to do with LilyPond, I will veto changes
>> like this that introduce inconsistent whitespace handling in the
>> syntax.  Please come up with something different.  I think the idea
>> to use (for example) & as a place holder is much more sane.
>
> OK.  Then I vote for a letter like `q' as a repeater for chords.  `&'
> is a bit cumbersome to type.

Hehe, ok, forget the no character idea. I would prefer the solution to
this have minimal impact on older scores and I guess this wouldn't
work.

I think I would also prefer an alphabetic character also. Note and
rest names only include these characters already so for consistency's
sake this new 'repeat note' should also. Also after thinking about it
a bit '&' and similar characters would make some scores look even more
like line noise:

<c e g>4 &2->\f &4
<c e g>4 q2->\f q4

The 'q' version to my eyes is a bit easier to read.

My only concern about using a letter as opposed to a non-alphabetic
character is the note names in other languages. I don't see a 'q' used
in any note name in the supported languages, but perhaps it's a
constraint to think about.

-----Jay