Re: significance of whitespace [WAS: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius]

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: significance of whitespace [WAS: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius]
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:49:15 +0200

Anthony W. Youngman schrieb:
In message <address@hidden>, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes
1) personally, I would use the "%", but this is the comment sign and can't be used.
  (perhaps this would be even possible, but ... NO!)

Oh my gosh, please, NOOO!!!!

As Han-Wen has said, parsing is important. In another life I work with a language called DataBasic. What do you thing of the following line of code:

REM: REM = REM(6, 4) ; REM This is an example of a horrendous line.

Here we have REM used consecutively as (1) a label, (2) a variable, (3) a function, and (4) a language command. Now imagine how easy that is to lex/parse... because it IS legal syntax ! :-(

Cheers,
Wol
That's why I said NO! ;-)