Re: Real World Usage

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: Real World Usage
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:32:49 +0200

MonAmiPierrot wrote:

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

Well, WYSIWYM sucks by concept for one single reason. Typesetting can
not be totally automated because of hyphenation.
So if you change something slightly that causes reflow, there is a small
chance that a word gets hyphenated at the wrong place.
With WYSIWYM you should not care about this: an implicit expectation
that it will automagically solve everything well. But that's just not
the case.
And the same applies for LilyPond. After the first manual tweak (you'll
certainly need SOME) you can never be sure any more that everything will
be fine during the development of the score.

I'm not sure what you mean with hyphenation. Hyphenation is not an issue in
TeX or any WYSISYG(M) editor, and I never had problems using it, so I can't
understan " But that's just not the case." could you give example?
Probably not in English, because there are not many compound words. But in Hungarian, German and many other languages, the hyphenation often can not be correctly done without knowing the meaning of that word.
Also, the same applies in LilyPond: if you use manual breaks to force breaks at convenient places, upon further editing (which usually results from spotting some missing notes or so), the whole layout must be checked again. Using a WYSIWYG tool errors introduced like this are far more easy to spot.
But the whole point for me is that WYSIWYM is very very good for some cases but not all.

Bert