Re: Tip/Trick: Double-Breve or Single-Breve-with-Double-Sidebars

From: Henning Plumeyer
Subject: Re: Tip/Trick: Double-Breve or Single-Breve-with-Double-Sidebars
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:51:46 +0200

Am 09.04.2009, 21:43 Uhr, schrieb Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:
\version "2.12.2"
dbreve =
        #(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
                #{
                        \once \override ParenthesesItem #'stencil =
#ly:text-interface::print
                        \once \override ParenthesesItem #'text =
\markup \translate #'(-0.4 . -0.46) \override #'(thickness . 2) { \draw-line #'(0 . 0.92) \hspace #2.26 \draw-line #'(0 . 0.92) }
                        \parenthesize $note
                #})
\score { { \dbreve b'\breve*2 } }

This function should be good at least as far back as v2.10.
The *2 doubles the duration of the breve, to make a double-breve (so if you just want double sidebars on a single breve, leave off the *2).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Hi all,
isnt't this double-breve the same thing as a longa? At least concerning the
duration (as long as 4 whole notes).

I think I've seen music where the breve (2 whole notes) was printed with
two bars on each side.

What?! I can haz breve with duble side-barz neouw? Veeeery nice :-) I
asked about this a longish time ago, but it wasn't possible then.

...and Ari Torhamo probably was looking for this kind of breve instead
of a longa.

IMHO it is too difficult to distinguish a longa with two side-bars from
a breve (with one side-bar).

By the way: I prefer the baroque note head style.
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Note-head-styles.html)

Regards,
Henning