Re: Tip/Trick: Double-Breve or Single-Breve-with-Double-Sidebars

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tip/Trick: Double-Breve or Single-Breve-with-Double-Sidebars
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:55:08 -0400

Hi Henning (et al.),

Indeed, in most hymn books I've seen, the breves have 2 lines each side,
As you can see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Double_whole_note), too.

Ah... I wasn't aware that the two-sideline breve and one-sideline breve were the same duration.

so "huzzah" for Kieren's code!
I agree with the "huzzah", even for Kieren himself!

=)

But for me it is another form of the breve, not of the longa.
Kieren, what was your intention? (I thougt you wanted a quadruple- whole-note.)

Yes, I thought the original poster wanted a double-breve (quadruple- whole-note) -- that's why I used the *2, to double the \breve (double- whole-note).

On the other hand, it should be easy to change your last example from
\score { { \dbreve b'\breve*2 } }
\score { { \dbreve b'\breve } }
To me, this would make sense.

The engraver can have it either (or both!) ways!  ;)
Kieren.