Re: Real-world usage of Lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Real-world usage of Lilypond
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:17:49 +0800

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 03:57:03PM +0200, Christ van Willegen wrote:
> Graham, list,
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Are you?  The best way to get this started is to join the Frogs,
> > our team of bugfixers.  After fixing a few bugs, you'll be able to
> > start extending lilypond in the direction(s) you desire.
>
> Question: Can anyone help me setup a Q virtual machine that can build
> Lilypond from source?

This is a popular question.  A few months ago there was a long
discussion on -devel about this, but I think the person who was
trying to get it set up decided to get a cheap Linux computer
instead.

> It seems that (parts of) Lily is in C++, which I've been using since
> 1995. So, I can read and (probably) bugfix in it. I guess I'll have to
> learn other languages on the way as well, including .ly (since it's
> changed a lot sometimes!)

I would say that scheme is more important than C++.  Also note
that you can do bugfixes in scheme without recompiling lilypond --
this way you wouldn't need to mess around with any virtual
machines, C++ compilers, etc.

> So, you can probably add me to the list of Frogs. Is there a 'central
> place' for new people to 'gather and discuss'?

Yes, there's a Frog mailist, but I can't remember the address
offhand.  If Valentin had his website up, I could find the address
there.

Carl Sorensen is the FrogMeister, so when you have a patch, I
suggest sending it to him for comments first.

You should also read the Contributor's Guide:
http://www.kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/index.html

Cheers,
- Graham