Re: Về: Về: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 77, Issue 80

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Về: Về: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 77, Issue 80
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:02:50 -0500

huy nguyen wrote:
well, if I didn't use the \voiceOne command, and the remove staff
performer on the \midi, I would get piano voice instead of violin and
viola. so I don't know how to do that.

Regarding the midi problem: If you add "Staff" to the midiInstrument setting it will make the instrument sound apply to all voices in the staff (in the event that you have passages with double-stops or polyphony and you use multiple voices):

  \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"violin"

Then you can get rid of all the remove staff_performer stuff in the \midi block and it'll still sound like you want. I've never actually seen that staff performer code before. My midi block is usually just

  \midi {}

and  youre right, the file is a bit of a mess. since I've only learn
about lilypond in the past few days, and read and do this music in
the few days time. so it's quite cramped:D. but I'll make sure to add
the measure # next time. although that will take longer for every
piece.

I understand, believe me. You should have seen the code in my first lilypond file. It was a disaster. :) I'm not a programmer, so tidy code was definitely a learned habit. It does take longer to type in measure numbers and add | for barchecks, but I find that it actually saves time in the long run because of the ease of trouble-shooting. I put measure number comments on every line.

anyway I'll try removing the \voiceOne command to see if things will
improve. oh and did you figure out about the beaming things?

It looks like the 16ths weren't beamed right before the repeat sign because (I think) it's a partial measure ended suddenly by the end of the volta. In any event, you can force them to be beamed manually by using [ and ] this way:

  d16[ e]

That will force a beam on those two notes.

Best,

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp