Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:00:02 -0400

Hi all you Slur-happy people,

1. Kudos to Mark for his amazing and generous contributions!

2. Does it (now) bother anyone else that dashed slurs do not look like real slurs? I guess I always assumed — without visually confirming, obviously — that dashed slurs were real slurs (that thickened and tapered, etc.) with cutouts; I now see that dashed "slurs" are simply dashed lines (of invariant thickness) which curve along the path that a slur would take between two notes. What is standard engraving practice when it comes to such things?

Cheers,
Kieren.