Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:11:28 -0500

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi all you Slur-happy people,

1. Kudos to Mark for his amazing and generous contributions!

+1.  Wow!

2. Does it (now) bother anyone else that dashed slurs do not look like real slurs? I guess I always assumed — without visually confirming, obviously — that dashed slurs were real slurs (that thickened and tapered, etc.) with cutouts; I now see that dashed "slurs" are simply dashed lines (of invariant thickness) which curve along the path that a slur would take between two notes. What is standard engraving practice when it comes to such things?

Cheers,
Kieren.

The publisher of my guitar music (Les Productions D'Oz in Quebec, Canada) uses dashed slurs like these with invariant thickness to indicate pull-offs and hammer-ons, and uses regular slur markings for phrase slurs. I can't say that I've noticed dashed slurs in other places before. Sylvain (the editor at D'Oz) always uses these dashed-line things, though. It probably would look nicer if they thickened in the middle and tapered at the ends. :)

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com