Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:41:26 -0400

2. Does it (now) bother anyone else that dashed slurs do not look like real slurs? I guess I always assumed — without visually confirming, obviously — that dashed slurs were real slurs (that thickened and tapered, etc.) with cutouts; I now see that dashed "slurs" are simply dashed lines (of invariant thickness) which curve along the path that a slur would take between two notes. What is standard engraving practice when it comes to such things?

Cheers,
Kieren.
In older scores made with the program SCORE, dashed ties and slurs thickened in the middle as you describe and they looked good. In Finale, dashed-slurs have a similarly non-dynamic shape (that is, they don't thicken in the middle), and dashed ties aren't available at all, except by 'fooling' Finale by slurring two notes of the same pitch, and this is an ugly and time consuming process in Finale. Sibelius is similar.
The publisher of my guitar music (Les Productions D'Oz in Quebec, Canada) uses dashed slurs like these with invariant thickness to indicate pull-offs and hammer-ons, and uses regular slur markings for phrase slurs. I can't say that I've noticed dashed slurs in other places before. Sylvain (the editor at D'Oz) always uses these dashed-line things, though. It probably would look nicer if they thickened in the middle and tapered at the ends. :)
In popular guitar-tab music, we use dashed-ties to connect held harmonic pitches over the bar line. I have also seen dashed-slurs to denote ligado technique in classical guitar music (and perhaps other string music, I can't recall).

Jon

David