Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:04:39 -0600

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:41 AM, David Stocker
<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> 2. Does it (now) bother anyone else that dashed slurs do not look like
>>> real slurs? I guess I always assumed — without visually confirming,
>>> obviously — that dashed slurs were real slurs (that thickened and tapered,
>>> etc.) with cutouts; I now see that dashed "slurs" are simply dashed lines
>>> (of invariant thickness) which curve along the path that a slur would take
>>> between two notes. What is standard engraving practice when it comes to such
>>> things?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Kieren.
>
> In older scores made with the program SCORE, dashed ties and slurs thickened
> in the middle as you describe and they looked good. In Finale, dashed-slurs
> have a similarly non-dynamic shape (that is, they don't thicken in the
> middle), and dashed ties aren't available at all, except by 'fooling' Finale
> by slurring two notes of the same pitch, and this is an ugly and time
> consuming process in Finale. Sibelius is similar.
>>
>> The publisher of my guitar music (Les Productions D'Oz in Quebec, Canada)
>> uses dashed slurs like these with invariant thickness to indicate  pull-offs
>> and hammer-ons, and uses regular slur markings for phrase slurs.  I can't
>> say that I've noticed dashed slurs in other places before.  Sylvain (the
>> editor at D'Oz) always uses these dashed-line things, though.  It probably
>> would look nicer if they thickened in the middle and tapered at the ends. :)
>
> In popular guitar-tab music, we use dashed-ties to connect held harmonic
> pitches over the bar line. I have also seen dashed-slurs to denote ligado
> technique in classical guitar music (and perhaps other string music, I can't
> recall).
>>
>> Jon
>>
> David

Dashed slurs are often used in choral writing to indicate a place
where no breath should be taken. As others have pointed out, several
publishers use the non-tapered defaults in other software, but I have
several recent scores from Oxford University Press where they are
still going to the trouble of tapering the slurs. I will scan an
example and send it in.

Andrew