Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:20:47 -0700 (PDT)

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> 1.  Would it be better to have an abrupt transition
> from dashed to solid, or to have a gradual
> transition from dashed to solid, with the
> dash-fraction gradually increasing?

If I had to choose only one, I would say abrupt. If
you're willing to implement a gradual transition
also, that could be interesting. I'd have to see what
it looks like.

> 2. Will the transition always be in the  middle, or
> would it be preferable to define the transition
> point (e.g. 3/4 dashed, 1/4 solid).

I guess from a programming perspective, it's
preferable to allow more flexibility. But if the only
choice was 1/2, I don't think that would bother me
*personally*.

> 3. Will it always go from dashed to solid,  or does
> it sometimes go from solid to dashed?

It MUST be able to go both ways.

BTW, would 'dash-fraction and 'dash-period have
roughly the same effect as they do now?

Also, one thought I had when I was pondering this was
that it would be neat to have something like:
\override Slur #'dash-count = #'even (or 'odd)
so that the dashed slur could be centered nicely
either with a dash right in the middle ('odd) or a
space right in the middle ('even). I don't know if
that would be the right way to implement it though.
Just a thought.

> Thanks,
>
> Carl

No thank you! This one's beyond me I'm pretty
sure. Very much looking forward to your patch.

- Mark

p.s. now I understand the need for that lineto. (: