Re: Custom guitar chords

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Custom guitar chords
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:59:19 -0600

On 4/15/09 10:51 AM, "Miklos Vajna" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a sample:
>
> ----
> \version "2.12.1"
>
> \score {
>         <<
>         \chords {
>                 e1:sus4 g e:m b:m
>         }
>         \relative c'
>         {
>                 e8.
>                 ^\markup \fret-diagram #"f:2;6-o;5-o;4-2-2;3-2-3;2-o;1-o;"
>                 e16( e8) e8 e16 d e8 r4 | e8 e e16 e8 e16 e8 e( b'4) |
>                 b8 a g16 g8 fis16 fis g e8 r8. e16 | fis8
>                 ^\markup \fret-diagram #"f:2;5-o;4-4-3;3-4-4;2-o;1-2-1;"
>                 fis16 e fis8 g16 fis( fis4) g16( fis e fis)
>         }
>>>
> }
> ----
>
> So I'm having normal chords like 'g' and 'e:m' but I have two custom
> chords as well. I have a problem and a question as well.
>
> First, currently the output has "Bm" for my chord, but actually I would
> like to have it as 'Bm \super "omit3"/A'. (No, I don't really mind about
> the midi output. :) )

Would you really like a Bm with the third missing and an A bass?  If so, you
could use

b:m-3/+a

I think you'll still need to use the chord name markup that Robin showed
you, but at least you'll have the right notes.

> Second, It's a bit ugly to define the custom chords inside the notes and
> not in the \chords secion. Is it possible to do something like
> "^\markup" in the \chords section?

I think you'll be much happier if you use the FretBoards context for your
fret diagrams, instead of using markups on the notes.  Please see section
2.4.1 of the Notation Reference, especially the section on Predefined fret
diagrams.  You can define the fret diagram for your b:m-3/+a chord once, and
use it multiple times in your work.  If you can't figure out how to do it,
I'll be happy to give you some more guidance.

As a preview, you'd add the following to the top of your file:

\include "predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly"

\storePredefinedDiagram \chordmode { e:sus4 }
           #guitar-tuning
           #"x;;4-3;4-4;;2-1;"

Then you'd add a new context between your ChordNames context and your Staff
context:

\new FretBoards {e1:sus4 ....}

HTH,

Carl