Re: Dashed, variable-thickness slurs

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Dashed, variable-thickness slurs
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:31:26 -0600

On 4/17/09 7:26 AM, "Ian Hulin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
> I'll comment on the bits I feel qualified on: the documentation bits.
>
> It's taken me while following the threads on lilypond-devel and
> lilypond-user to work out */why/* this has been developed.

To tell you the truth, I don't really know why.  All I know is that it
has been requested.

> The most common use seems to be so you can notate a phrase where notes
> have varying degrees of articulation or bowing weight, in a similar way
> that the hairpins show variations in dynamic intensity.
>
> Before seeing this thread, I'd only seen slur/phrasing marks with
> renditions like dotted or dashed to show added editorial phrasings as
> distinct from Urtext ones which were inherited from the composer's
> manuscript.
>
> Is there a slot in the documentation that covers the usage of all this
> fancy slur-sign stuff (LR NR)?

I've added sections in the Notation Reference for slurs, phrasing slurs,
and ties that demonstrate the capabilities.

I haven't added anything about *why* one might want to do so; that seems to
me to be beyond the scope of the Notation Reference.

Thanks,

Carl