Lyrics verse numbers on every line

From: Johan Marais
Subject: Lyrics verse numbers on every line
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:49:51 -0500

Hi Helpers!

My first post and perhaps a very elementary issue but not to me at this
stage!

I need to put verse numbers in every line of the hymns.  There are 3 to 6
verses.

        \set stanza = "1."   does it for the first line, first verse.
        \set shortVocalName = "*1."    does it for all the lines, first
verse but puts it outside the staff.

One possibility will be \break \set stanza = "1."   at the end of each line
and for each verse.  A little clumsy.  This has been asked but I could find
nothing acceptable that works.

Is there a way to format and to move the outcome of \set shortVocalName =
"*1."    to the right?

Thanks for suggestions.   Johan