Re: dual window editor

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: dual window editor
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:01:31 +0200

hi,

On 20 Apr 2009, at 14:26, address@hidden wrote:

I'm a new user of Lily Pond. I'm running the program under Windows XP (I know, I know, don't tell me...) I find it fast and easy to use. I prefer it to Finale because it's so easy to debug the code.

lily works well on windows, mac and linux. which is as software should be. happy to hear you like it, i've been a fan for a long time. :)

JEdit is O.K., but it would be a big help to me if there were a dual- window editor that would incorporate an interpreter (rather than a compiler). One window would show the text file as it was being developed; the other side would display - on command - the resulting PDF image. (Think of the way the Matlab editor works.) It would make debugging much easier to be able to see the results of code changes immediately, rather than have to save the .LY file and then call LP, then look at the result in Adobe.

on a mac, i use TeXShop. you can probably get TeXniccenter on windows to play nicely with lilypond -- iirc it's easy to add a new typesetting engine to it, but i haven't done things like that on windows for a few years. (i think they called them output profiles). or you can go the route of JEdit and LilyPondTool which works for a lot of ppl here on this list. bertalan (dev of LPT) is also active around here.

welcome to the world of lilypond. :) regards,
sb
--
Simon Bailey
Oompa Loompa of Science