Re: Hymns with several verses and a chorus

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Hymns with several verses and a chorus
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:53:19 +0200

Am 22.04.2009 um 04:55 schrieb johanperu:

Hi,
I am to do many hymns with 2 to 6 verses.  Then the music continues with
some and a single chorus follows.  I do the hymns with the verses, fine.  I
can add the chorus when the chorus has the same music as the verses below
the bottom staff.  (There are two staffs, like piano music, treble and
bass.)  The verses I fit between the staffs.  After the verses I now want to
continue with the chorus.

I am missing something about the simultaneous processes and I do not know
where to fit the chorus words and music in.  I think I should separate the
chorus music as well.  Any advice on what I have here is welcome.  This is
going to be a template for many hymns if and when I get it right.

This is what the score looks like:
\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = upper
      \new Voice = "sopranos" {
\revert Rest #'direction
\global
  \voiceOne
  \pentagramaSup %the upper music
           \chorusmusicSup  % ?????????
      }

    \new Lyrics = "estrofaI" { s1 }
    \new Lyrics = "estrofaII" { s1 }
    \new Lyrics = "estrofaIII" { s1 }
    \new Lyrics = "VerseIV" { s1 }

    \context Lyrics = VerseOne \lyricsto sopranos { \set vocalName = "1."
\estrofaI }
    \context Lyrics = VerseTwo \lyricsto sopranos { \set vocalName = "2. "
\estrofaII }
    \context Lyrics = VerseThree \lyricsto sopranos { \set vocalName = "3. "
\estrofaIII }
    \context Lyrics = VerseFour \lyricsto sopranos { \set vocalName = "4. "
\estrofaIV }

    \new Staff = lower <<
      \clef bass
        \new Voice = "tenors" {
         \global
  \voiceTwo
           \pentagramaInf % lower music
           \chorusMusicInf    % ??????????
      }

% This is for the chorus running in parallel with the verses but does not
work in many cases
   \new Lyrics = "Chorus" { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = Chorus \lyricsto sopranos { \set stanza = "CORO:  "
\coro }

   \layout {
    \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver" %no bar numbers
      \override InstrumentName #'X-offset = #6 %Put the number in the staff
      \override InstrumentName #'font-series = #'bold %bold it
      \override InstrumentName #'font-size = #5 %size it
  }

    \context {
      \Staff
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-3 . 3)
      \override  Stem #'length = #8.0 %longer stems
   \midi { }

When I do these kinds of things, I usually assign a different voice context to the verses and the choruses. It can be a bit tedious (especially if you want to re-use a context) but the general idea is so:
soprano = \relative c'' {
\context Voice = sopranoVerseI { c4 d e f }
\context Voice = sopranoChorusI {  g4 g g g }
\context Voice = sopranoVerseII { f4 e d c }
\context Voice = sopranoChorusII { c4 c c c }
}
alto = \relative c'' {
\context Voice = altoVerseI { c4 g c a }
\context Voice = altoChorusI { g4 g g g }
\context Voice = altoVerseII { a4 c b c }
\context Voice = altoChorusII { c4 c c c }
}

And so on for the other voices. And then the appropriate lyrics contexts for each. It's possible to do it using \context Voice = sopranoVerse each time there's a verse and \context Voice = sopranoChorus for each chorus, but it's only slightly more convenient and I only do that if I'm switching between contexts a lot.

James E. Bailey