Re: date in footer?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: date in footer?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:58:55 -0600

On 4/23/09 12:04 PM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:31:22AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>> And we really (IMO) need to be doing it as part of moving to a 2.12 LSR.
>>> We should also be evaluating:
>>>
>>> A) Does it run in 2.12?
>>> B) Is it needed in 2.12 (i.e. has 2.12 introduced new features such that
>>> the snippet become irrelevant)?
>>
>> There aren't so many new features in 2.12.  And only the
>> doc-related snippets need to be evaluated.
>>

> I notice there's a TODO in the Contrib Guide about making multiple
> versions of LP coexist on the same system.  This is something I would
> need to do to test these snippets, since I'm always runnning the latest
> development version.  I'm not sure how to make 2.12 available at the
> same time.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  If I get it
> working then maybe I could also update that part of the CG.

I think all you have to do is to install 2.12 from the download page, and
have a different working directory for the 2.13 source.  And then you
can follow the instructions in the file HACKING that exists in the top
LilyPond source directory.

Of course, those instructions won't work on Windows, but IIRC you have Linux
anyway.

> I could start checking snippets a few at a time at night after the kids
> are in bed once I get 2.12 running.

But you can't update any snippets to 2.12 and put them on LSR until LSR is
moved to 2.12.  But if you just keep the updated, checked, and approved
snippets in a directory, we can upload the changes later, I think.

> BTW, Graham, in the 2.12 docs, CG 1.1.2 "Main source code" it still says
> "FIXME test this" for the git commands.  The 2.13 version of same
> doesn't say this.  The commands work perfectly (I used them yesterday
> after a reinstall of my OS).  I could go in and delete the "FIXME"
> stuff, but I'm not sure where to get at the 2.12 source files.  I'm
> pretty sure my whole git repo is 2.13. How do I make a change to the
> 2.12 docs?

For the time being, you don't make changes to the 2.12 docs.  2.12 is the
last stable release; contributors should be working on 2.13 right now.
Similarly, we are not backporting bug-fixes to 2.12.  Besides, none of those
changes would be available until we have a new release, and new releases
appear to be problematic right now.

If another release of 2.12 is planned (e.g. because we backport some
bugfixes from 2.13), then we could update the docs.  But right now, I don't
see that happening.  I think we have already seen the last 2.12 release.

Thanks,

Carl