Re: music expression explanation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: music expression explanation
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:53:43 +0800

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:31:14PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:13 AM
>
>> Eh?!?!  You want to tell people to put articulation and dynamic
>> marks after the duration, before they've been told how to do
>> articulations and dynamics?  Remember that the idea is to give a
>> general:
>> @var{pitch} @var{dur} @var{other}
>
> No, you should.  This thread has nothing to do
> with articulation and dynamics.  It is to to
> with the relative order of octave marks and
> durations.

Yes, the *initial* concern was over the relative order of octave
marks and durations.  My *current* concern is that if it's
possible for people to get confused over
        c4'
then surely they could also get confused over
        c'\mf4

If so, there's two options:
1) give a general explanation of pitch-dur-other.  In addition to
that order, explain that the order of "other" doesn't matter.
2) give an explanation of pitch-dur, then later on explain
pitch-dur-other (or maybe "note-other", or something like that)

I thought that #1 would be best, but if you'd rather go with #2, I
have no objection.

Cheers,
- Graham