Re: tablature.ly

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: tablature.ly
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:16:36 -0600

Looks great, Marc!  *Very* nicely done.

On 4/25/09 4:06 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello tablature users*,

<SNIP>

> 3) some more tunings are defined:
>    guitar-seven-string-tuning
>    guitar-drop-d-tuning
>    bass-four-string-tuning
>    bass-drop-d-tuning
>    bass-five-string-tuning
>    bass-six-string-tuning
>    (yes I know, the already defined "bass-tuning" is the same as my
> "bass-four-string-tuning", but
>     as I write music for various basses, this is easier to read at first
> glance.)

As your comment indicates, you will want to move these to
scm/output-lib.scm.  When you are up to speed on git, please do so.

Once you send me a patch, I'll check it and push to git, and it will become
part of LilyPond.

Oh, by the way, you will want to make a standard LilyPond comment block at
the top of the file -- see existing files for a pattern.

> 4) commandos for palm mute playing and dead notes are supported (palm
> mute is not a tablature-specific
>    issue, but as electric guitar players use tablature and often play
> palm mute, I think this is ok).
>    At first I thought of using \x for dead notes, but in other threads
> \x is used for almost everything,
>    so I leave it to the user to say x = \deadNotes and use \x for faster
> typing myriads of dead notes :-)

This is exactly the right thing to do.  LilyPond defined functions should
always be descriptive.  If users want the convenience of defining a
shortcut, it's quite easy to do so.

> Yet again, I would like to thank Carl for his great help and patience,
> and as far as I can see now,
> making contributions to lilypond is easier than one might think, there
> are a lot of people outside
> willing to help you, if you are willing to bring lilypond further on, so
> give it a try!

You're very welcome.  It's always a pleasure to help somebody who is
learning to contribute!

Thanks,

Carl