Re: starting Fescobaldi

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: Re: starting Fescobaldi
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:36:45 -0700

Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
the standard for starting a program once it's installed is to call the program from the command-line. precompiled packages generally install to /usr/bin, self-compiled packages to /usr/local/bin or on some distributions to /opt/bin or /opt/local/bin.

Wherever it is installed, normally it is installed in one of the locations that are in the PATH environment variable. The content of this variable is shown when you type

        echo $PATH

on the commandline.

This means you probably only have to type
        frescobaldi

on the commandline, without the need to know if it is in /usr/bin/ or in /bin/ or in /usr/local/bin.

Even easier would be to have a desktop file. I'm using a simple one (see attachments) that I use with my LXDE desktop. Now I have the frescobaldi logo as an icon on my desktop ready to start with a mouseclick. Also attached the frescobaldi-icon.png from the frescobaldi website. I have copied this to /usr/share/pixmaps but this may be differnt on other systems I guess.

I donĀ“t know how and where to install *.desktop and icon files on other systems than my own. So maybe there are other people who can tell what the correct way is to install such a thing on Ubuntu or other popular distros.

Simon, and Martin,

Thank you for your substantial responses. They got me across the goal
line: I now have Frescobaldi installed and running. I'm immediately
impressed by the breadth of features and naturalness of overall design.

It was not an easy trip getting here. My attempt to compile from source
failed. My first try to install the deb package failed. My attempt to
get my Synaptic package manager to handle the installation failed. I
returned to the command line and began playing with apt-get, and finally
found that apt-get -f install was the ticket. THAT produced a truly
impressive output stream, which went on for some minutes, and finished
without error. Whew!

Again, thanks for your generous help and comments. I very much
appreciate the time you gave me.

Tom