Re: Head of merged half note getting filled

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Head of merged half note getting filled
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 06:41:25 -0500

Nick Payne wrote:
From: Jonathan Kulp [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, 1 May 2009 12:43 PM
To: Nick Payne
Cc: address@hidden

Nick Payne wrote:
I've got a score where the heads of half and dotted half notes that are
merged with eighth notes are being incorrectly filled in. I've minimised
it
to the attached example. I've found that the problem is due to having
three
voices. If I remove the treble voice from my example, then the merged
note
in the middle and bass voices outputs correctly with an unfilled
notehead.
I'm not sure why it doesn't behave like you want, but you can force it
to do so with this code before the offending note in the middle voice:

   \once \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t

Yes - I was just illustrating what seems to be to be a bug.

Gotcha. It looks like a bug to me too, but even after using LP for 18 months I still don't feel qualified to label things as bugs.

You can also use much simpler \stemUp, \stemDown, and \stemNeutral
commands to control direction of stems.

If I have one note each bar that requires a direction change, then it's
actually simpler to use the \once command, as \stemUp requires the
corresponding \stemDown or \stemNeutral after the note. I have a standard
file of shortcuts I include in every score that contains, inter alia:

onceSlurDown = \once \override Slur #'direction = #DOWN
onceSlurUp = \once \override Slur #'direction = #UP
onceTieDown = \once \override Tie #'direction = #DOWN
onceTieUp = \once \override Tie #'direction = #UP
onceStemDown = \once \override Stem #'direction = #DOWN
onceStemUp = \once \override Stem #'direction = #UP

and I use these shortcuts quite a lot.

Those look handy, for sure. :)

I agree with Robin that it would be cool to be able to combine the \stemUp and other such commands with a \once, without having to make all specific new definitions like this. I fear it's beyond my capabilities to make it work...

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com