Re: Newby question about stem directions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newby question about stem directions
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 22:45:55 +0200

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Tim,

Does the \\ keep adding voices (effectively) indefinitely
[...] I'm worried about running out of voices!

I don't know the official answer. (Maybe Mats or HW or Graham can speak to this?)
It seems that you can have an infinite number and looking at the implementation, I see that it actually will give you the equivalence of an infinite number of \voiceOne, \voiceTwo, \voiceThree, \voiceFour, ... (even though only these first four are defined for manual use). What differs \voiceThree from \voiceOne is that in the case of collisions, the note heads are shifted in \voiceThree. In the 5th voice they will be shifted even further, and so on.

   /Mats