Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:20:59 +0200

Am 10.05.2009 um 22:54 schrieb Tim Rowe:

Sorry for all the newbie questions -- I'm getting what I can from the
documentation and examples, but as you can tell a few things are
tripping me up.

This one is a song that has verses and a chorus.  I can't work out how
to set them all against the music, unless I pad all verses except the
first with a lot of \skip instructions where the chorus would be. I
though it might be in the manual under "Lyrics and repeats", but that
section doesn't seem to be written yet. This must be a common enough
job -- how do I do it?

Thanks in advance..

--
Tim Rowe

There are different ways of doing this. I prefer to have separate voice contexts for the verse and lyrics, i.e., music = { \context Voice = Verse \relative {} \context Voice = Chorus \relative {} } and then corresponding lyrics contexts: verse = \context Lyrics \lyricsto Verse \lyricmode {} chorus = \context Lyrics \lyricsto Chorus \lyricmode {}
Some prefer to use \skip1*32 (or appropriate). And some prefer a similar method to skip, but a little easier on input, \repeat unfold 138 {_}

James E. Bailey