Re: Absolute premiere of a LilyPond typesetted work

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Absolute premiere of a LilyPond typesetted work
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:37:24 +0200

2009/5/9 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
> It was typeset by the pianist and composer Pascual Marchante. As for
> the license of the score: well thougth, if it is not published at all,
> how can it be licensed anyway? It is a copyrighted work, period. IIRC
> it was commissioned by the Madrid autonomous community and maybe it
> holds the whole rights.

As you may remember, free-licensed works are copyrighted (since free
licenses precisely rely on copyright, for example to guarantee the
author's paternity right).

If it is not published, that is a very good reason to release it under
an alternate license, since the author is not bound to a publisher
(and the commissionner, AFAIK, should not hold any copyright on the
work).

> That being said, I have proposed to Pascual to talk to the composer
> and try him to license the score. I have mentioned your
> double-licensed opera, cc licenses etc, but I think that sadly the
> composer is not very willing to that.

That may imply that he's waiting for a publisher to step up and make
money with his work. Unfortunately, no free-licenses-friendly
structure can compete with that (yet).

Regards,
Valentin