Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:11:53 +0200

Am 11.05.2009 um 12:59 schrieb Tim Rowe:

2009/5/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

RTF Learning Manual.  It's written specifically for this purpose.
- Graham

Really I find this attitude very aggressive, hostile and unwelcoming,
and quite unlike all of the other email groups for software that I
use.

In the case of every question I have asked, I have not only scoured
the manuals -- not just the learning manual -- but also searched the
snippets repository and the web in general for anything that might
give me a clue.

Unfortunately, the lilypond documentation wasn't written with this kind of learning in mind. Once you get used to concept it's okay, but the documentation for lilypond isn't the kind of documentation that you go to when you have a question about how to do something.

The learning manual is designed to be read before you actually start notating something, or at least, as a corollary as you notate the examples in the learning manual so that you understand what they are and how they work.

The notation reference is designed to be the place to answer specific questions about specific uses of functions and contexts and properties that you already understand. The lilypond documentation really isn't the kind of documentation that you can go to when you want to know how to do something. It's designed to teach you how to use the software.

James E. Bailey