Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:26:17 +0800

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:03:51PM +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> Graham's quite cuddly when you get to know him - like a hedgehog
> you just have to be very careful how you cuddle him :-)

Aww, you're making me blush.  :)

> The difficulty is that steep learning curve. Any decent lilypond piece
> of music is a *program*, written in a *schizophrenic* *mix* of lilypond
> and Scheme (which is a dialect of Guile, which is a dialect of Lisp,
> which is something many people, including programmers nowadays, have
> never met).

Yes and no -- I agree that many typesettings, especially the
high-quality ones --  use a nightmarish combination of lilypond
and scheme.  But this doesn't *need* to be the case.  One of my
big hopes with the Frogs is that we can add commonly-used scheme
things to lilypond so that other people don't need to do any
scheme.

For example, consider the "lilypond elegance" stuff I was doing
last Fall -- the compound time signatures, setting margins to be
equal on USLetter and A4, etc.  My goal is to work those things
into the main distro (in the case of the compound time signatures,
clearly with more style additions), so that other people don't
need to use scheme.

Basically, my goal is that a high-quality engraving should not
contain *any* scheme; any special tweaks should be integrated into
the main lilypond distro.  Once we have a critical mass of
advanced users (which we seem to) and a good organizer (my
speciality ;), this can be done.

Coming soon (say, mid-June?) to a mailist near you.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham