Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:07:41 +0100

2009/5/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> (on the LR)
> "This book explains how to begin learning LilyPond, as well as
> explaining some key concepts in easy terms. You should read these
> chapters in a linear fashion.

Which I did.

> There is a paragraph See also at the end of each section, which
> contains cross-references to other sections: you should not follow
> these cross-references at first reading; when you have read all of
> the Learning Manual, you may want to read some sections again and
> follow cross-references for further reading."

Which I:
a) didn't,
b) did, and
c) did, respectively, as instructed.

> "This book explains all the LilyPond commands which produce
> notation. It assumes that readers are familiar with the concepts
> in the Learning Manual."

Which I was, as far as I was able.

> Honestly, what else can we do?  Add a maoing <blink> tag to the
> webpage, saying "you should read the documentation" ?

Honestly, what else could I do? Go through the whole process again and
again, in the hope that on one pass it will suddenly be different?
There's a saying to the effect that if you've tried something and it
doesn't work then to keep trying it in the hope that it will work is a
sign of madness. You continue to assume that I hadn't read the
documentation. I have. I still have questions.

At university we had one lecturer who, each lecture, would simply read
out loud a chapter of the textbook he had written, and which was a set
text. If anybody asked him a question, he'd simply read the relevant
chapter again. Attendance was compulsory (the university tolerated it
because he was a genius performing groundbreaking research in his
field, by the way). You're not related are you?

--
Tim Rowe