Re: Absolute premiere of a LilyPond typesetted work

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Absolute premiere of a LilyPond typesetted work
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:11:19 +0200

I forgot to include the list in my last reply to Valentin:

2009/5/11 Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:
> 2009/5/9 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
>> It was typeset by the pianist and composer Pascual Marchante. As for
>> the license of the score: well thougth, if it is not published at all,
>> how can it be licensed anyway? It is a copyrighted work, period. IIRC
>> it was commissioned by the Madrid autonomous community and maybe it
>> holds the whole rights.
>
> As you may remember, free-licensed works are copyrighted (since free
> licenses precisely rely on copyright, for example to guarantee the
> author's paternity right).

You're right!

But the Berne Convention states that unless explicitly stated
otherwise, all rights are reserved.

Therefore I could have said: copyrighted _and_ not copylefted. This is
a copyrighted work under the default restrictive, non-free meaning of
copyright.

If I can read on a work "This is copyright ---the author" and nothing
else, I understand that there is nothing good I can do with this work
without permission.  Free-licensed works have to state it explicitly,
do you agree?

[Answer from Valentin]:
Yes. Without any explicit mention, the most restrictive clauses apply.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org