Re: Lyric problem when alternative begins with a rest

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lyric problem when alternative begins with a rest
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:27:43 -0400

Hi Tim,

If I set lyrics against a repeat with alternative endings the way I
find in the documentation, it all works fine -- usually. This is ok,
for example.

melody = \relative c' {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c4 d e f |
  }
  \alternative
  {
    { g1 }
    { c,1 }

words = \lyricmode  {
  \repeat volta 2
  {
    do re mi fa |
  }
  \alternative
  { so }
  { do }
}

\score {
  <<
  \new Staff { \melody }
  \addlyrics { \words }

}

Is that really in the documentation? With voltas and barchecks in the lyrics? =\

This is the way I would do it:

\version "2.12.2"
\include "english.ly"

global = {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    s1
  }
  \alternative
  {
    { s1 }
    { s1 }

melody = \relative c' {
    c4 d e f   |
    { r2 r4 g4 }
    { c,1 }
}

words = \lyricmode {
  do re mi fa
  { so }
  { do }
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff << \global \melody >>
    \addlyrics { \words }

}

Now, if the structure changes (e.g., you make the volta alternatives ten bars each, instead of one) you only have to change it in one place (i.e., the global variable). [n.b. The {} inside the melody and words variables are, in this version, unnecessary -- however, I find they help my eye to distinguish the structure of the volta.]

Hope this helps!
Kieren.